Monday, August 16, 2010

Rota!

Now that we're in the middle of this Spanish adventure I LOVE it. Who knew that I'd ever be brave or lucky enough to stay in Spain for a whole month?! Not me. Even more amazing, who ever thought I'd learn to deal with my anxiety enough to get on a plane and fly across the world, then on a train to explore? Again, not me. I am blessed and excited to be on my first international adventure, and I'm so glad my mom and Mary are with me for it!

This past weekend we left Madrid to go down south for some new adventures. We stayed at a naval base in a little city called Rota. Everyone made it sound like this place was going to be lame, dull, and boring. The people in our hotel in Madrid told us there's "nothing in Rota except for an ugly American naval base". The internet also told us how uneventful this city was, so we weren't totally stoked about going there.

On base we found a grocery store that had some of the most wonderful foods: pickles and cheetos. I don't even like cheetos, but they were the best thing that happened to me the day we got there. I also ate a whole jar of pickles by myself, but only after mom dropped and shattered a whole jar at the store.

Last night was our last night in southern Spain, so we finally decided to go "out on the town" in Rota. It was WONDERFUL! Whoever says Rota is lame has never been there. It's a small town with narrow cobblestone streets lit by street lamps. The apartments are tall and colorful and everyone has wrought iron balconies with flower pots and Spanish tiles on them. We walked on miles of boardwalk next to the beach. People of all ages were out walking around, eating, playing, laughing, people watching, and shopping. By the time we left around 1:30am, there were still babies in strollers as well as great grandparents walking around the streets. This little town has a great nightlife! The night ended with each of us eating our own tub of Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

-Teddy


Teddy is right....Rota rocks! It is the cutest little town ever! Lots and lots of narrow cobblestone streets and alleys. And everywhere you turn an unexpected adorable plaza...old churches, really cool old buildings, a lighthouse, and even a castle / fortress! A cool ocean breeze was blowing through the streets and into open balcony windows. Love it! I would fit right in since I am nocturnal and all. Back in Madrid tonite....going to the Madrid temple in the morning!

-Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment